Tuesday, May 21st: Meeting, Midtown Scholar Bookstore, Harrisburg, PA, 6:30 p.m. socializing and set-up, 6:45 p.m. meeting. (Please RSVP via email so that we can prepare materials)
- Show and Share (please bring along any projects, complete or UFO, you would like to share)
- Discussion of the CAMQG Member Quilt Show/Exhibition (to be held in September)
- Fabric Cutting Session: Caitlin's Smiles Totebags
- Caitlin's Smiles is a wonderful local charity that puts together Bags of Smiles for children in hospitals with chronic or life threatening illnesses. The bags consist of crafts kits, journals, handmade cards, books or small toys, journals, and other goodies and are distributed to hospitals in a several state radius.
- We will be cutting the fabric at the May meeting and then sewing the bags at our June sewing day.
- We are looking to our members or anyone in the community to donate stash fabric for this activity. High quality cotton, denim, upholstery fabric, or the like (prints or solids) can be used. The bags will be used for kids from preschool through high school, and for both boys and girls. No religious or holiday prints may be used. 1-2/3 yards of 42" fabric would yield 4 complete bags. Smaller amounts of fabric can be used....the main panel to make the bag will need to measure 15" x 32" and the handles will be made from 2 - 5" x 10" pieces of fabric (or 1 - 5" x 20" piece). Handles and bags can be made from different fabrics.
- The bags will be simple tote bag style, around 13 x 15 inches, finished, with 2 handles and unlined. This will be a simple pattern utilizing french seams and would be a great beginner project!
- PLEASE BRING YOUR FABRIC, ROTARY CUTTING MAT, RULER, AND ROTARY CUTTER! We will only be cutting and organizing the fabric at this meeting. Sewing will take place in June.
- We will distribute the pattern at the meeting (currently tweaking the pattern).
- Quilts for Boston Quilt Block Collection
- The Boston Modern Quilt Guild is sponsoring and completing this great project! They are collecting completed quilt blocks to be included in quilts to be donated to those affected by the Boston Marathon bombings.
- We will be collecting completed quilt blocks for Quilts for Boston and making one shipment on behalf of our guild. Finished blocks need to measure 12 1/2" tall by any width and can only use blue, gray, white, and yellow fabric (Boston Marathon colors). Please click on the link above for more information on the block requirements.
- Our shipment must be postmarked by May 24th so blocks must be brought to the meeting. If you would like to donate but are unable to make it to the meeting, please contact us to make other arrangements.
- This would be a great way to support our sister guild and those affected by the tragedy. Blocks can be of any style, simple or complex. Consider making one the next time you sit down at your machine!
June Sewing Day: Caitlin's Smiles Tote Bags: Tentatively scheduled for Saturday, June 15th (RSVP request to follow)
- Specifics on time, date, and location will be announced within the week.
- Join CAMQG for a day of community service sewing!
- We will be assembling the tote bags for Caitlin's Smiles.
We hope that you can join us! Wishing you happy stitching!
Meg and Jill